Monday, January 11, 2010

Rush, Rush, Rush . . . Now What?

Stacey arrived this week to help me with my surgery and hospital stay. But, we did manage to have a little fun while I was still walking. Stacey's flight arrived on time, but the shuttle company I hired to bring her into Manhattan stalled for more than an hour . . . our original plan was to try to have dinner in Times Square and then to try to get discounted rush tickets to a broadway show. The lottery drawing is held at 5:30pm and when it was nearly 5pm and she still hadn't shown up to my apartment, I was beginning to worry if we would make it?!

She finally buzzed my apartment at 5:05pm; I let her upstairs just long enough to drop off her luggage and then whisked her away in a taxi toward Times Square. Our smart and fast cab driver earned every bit of his tip, getting us to the corner of 46th and Broadway by 5:23pm. We ran to the box office and put our names in the hat just in time for the drawing. We then waited in the bitter wind and cold while they called out the names of the lucky ticket winners. They drew my name early on, securing us two seats for the front row smack dab in the middle of the stage!

We absolutely loved "In the Heights" with its latino inspired soundtrack and modern story. We also managed to find time to enjoy a delicious dinner at Virgil's BBQ, a NYC standard. The weather was absolutely unbearable with temps in the teens after the show, but we survived by bundling up with our scarves and gloves long enough to allow Stacey some Times Square photo opps.

Spending the evening out was a great respite from the worry of what was about to come . . .

0 comments: