Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Don't Wanna Grow Up!

My old boss Colleen was in town this weekend overseeing Bandai's sponsorship at the Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric Aids Foundation's Kids for Kids Annual Carnival Fundraiser. The EGPAF is close to my heart and was one of the great highlights of my job while I worked for Bandai, so I volunteered to help manage the costume characters at the event with Colleen. Plus, it gave me a chance to hang out with my favorite boss of all time!

We had so much fun. The event was held this year at the Park Avenue Armory, the historic home to the first National Guard group to be enlisted by President Lincoln in 1861. The gargantuan gymnasium gave the carnival inside an atmosphere of a big circus tent. Angelo Scarola (another ex-Bandai colleague), his wife Maria, and daughter joined us, allowing us the chance to reminisce, share yummy carnival tasty treats, and promise upcoming lunch meetings.

And, what would a carnival experience be without getting your face painted? I was a little apprehensive to do it until I saw the beautiful works of art that were walking around all afternoon. I let the artist decide what to paint and she took the opportunity to study my clothing and bone structure and to then share her favorite animal (on my face.)



We ended the evening having spicy fried rice at my favorite Thai restaurant here on the UES and then seeing The Little Mermaid on Broadway. We were in such a hurry to catch the show that I didn't have time to wash my face beforehand. A few tourists took my photo--with all that blue and purple, I am sure they thought I was just one of the cast members. And, you can imagine what kinds of looks I got riding the subway home at midnight!

1 comments:

Holly said...

wow, fun. I've never seen such fancy face painting!