Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hob-nobbing in the Hamptons . . .

Carrie's family that she nannies for was nice enough to let me come spend Labor Day weekend at their vacation home in East Hampton (a.k.a. the "Playground of the Rich"). The accommodations were beyond imaginable and the Mitchell family was very welcoming; I immediately knew why Carrie enjoyed spending the entire summer there.

Saturday

I rode by train in the morning and arrived at my seaside resort a short three hours later. The morning began with a heavy rainstorm and left gray clouds behind most of the day. But, the temperature was moderate and so Carrie and I dropped our things at the house, ate a delightful lunch that Mrs. Mitchell had prepared and headed out sightseeing. We visited Montauk, which is the Eastern-most point of New York and the end of Long Island.


After deciding that $8 per person was far too much money to walk around the grounds of the lighthouse, we opted instead to walk around the edge of the island and take in sights of the Atlantic ocean. After a little four-wheeling around the brush of the island's edge, we made a stop at John's for the island's best ice cream and some cheese fries for our afternoon snack; after nearly a full week of not being able to eat an ice cream cone "with a cone", I finally got mine. We then finished the evening by walking down to the Main Beach for an end of summer fireworks display.

Sunday

By Sunday morning, the rain had cleared and left nothing but clear blue skies, white puffy clouds, and a soft ocean breeze. Carrie and I attended church in the morning and returned to spend the afternoon lying on the beach. It was only moments after we arrived and were setting up our beach chairs when we saw Jon Bon Jovi walking along the water. Mr. Mitchell told us that he has a vacation house just up the street. . . and yeah, he does still look that hot (in swimming trunks). After getting a little sun on the beach, Carrie and I took the girls out to dinner for some yummy ribs, more ice cream, and another "bump into" with Jim Pressman, a colleague from Pressman toys that I've known for a few years now. He introduced me to his wife and daughter, Katie. Apparently, Katie is a big fan of The N; glad to know I've got one more fan out there besides my niece. They were just as lovely and personable as Jim is.

Monday

Monday morning I lounged by the pool and read my novel in the beautiful sunshine before Carrie and I rode the train back into the City. The Mitchell's were so kind to invite me to their home. I hope I get the chance to go again . . . it was fun playing among the Rich & Famous.

3 comments:

meg said...

If I had cable, I'd watch The N 24/7!

Jess said...

Wow! Thanks for the shout-out . . . if only all 15 year old girls had your same initiative!

The Wright's said...

K, so I am a huge Bon Jovi fan, have been since I was a in middle school. My heart skipped a beat reading your post about seeing Jon. Wow!