Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Some Things Never Change

Tonight was the lighting of the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center. And, since this is my first Christmas holiday in The City, I had to make every effort to attend this momentous occasion. The crowds were fierce--many people had been staking their spot since NOON. But I braved them, eventually making my way up front to a decent spot for activity sighting. The entire area was blockaded and NYPD was policing the area to make sure that no one was blocking entrances to any local businesses around the center.


I managed to move past one cop along 5th Avenue and slowly moved toward the center stage, while stopping in Dean & Deluca to get a warm cup of soup. After getting my food, I tried to plot a destination. Finally, after no luck, a man who had been watching me walk back and forth several times, stopped me. He told me that he knew me from somewhere, but that he just couldn't place me (like I haven't heard that a hundred times by a lay pick up artist). This was a gay man, though--I doubt he was trying to pick me up! Startled, I stood back and looked puzzled. He then started asking me several questions.

"You're from Utah, right?"
"Did you do theater? Or, was it debate?"
"Did you graduate around 1995 or 96?"
"I think we went to debate camp together at CEU."

After a few nods from me, he declared, "I knew it! I never forget a face!"

Steven, as it turned out, did in fact attend debate camp with me in the summer of 1993. I was so dumbfounded by this guy that I couldn't help but stop and talk to him. He and his friend Danny had been standing near the front and waiting all afternoon for the festivities to begin in these last 20 minutes. After a few quips of catching up, they invited me to join them!

We had so much fun welcoming the holiday season . . . and, I now have a new gay BFF to accompany me on my adventures in The City!

2 comments:

meg said...

Yay for gay BFF's!

I watched some of the show on TV and wondered if you were there. Did you see Harry Connick, Jr?? Me=jealous!

Life's a Dance said...

You look fabulous girl! I love running into old friends and how random that he also had such a great view of the festivities!