Thursday, January 15, 2009

An Icy Landing


A flight leaving LaGuardia airport this afternoon failed directly after take-off and landed in the Hudson River. We saw the plane go down from the Nickelodeon offices and were frightened for all the passengers on board. At first we couldn't quite tell what type of plane it was or how many people might be on board, but we were glad that the plane had fortunately drifted on the surface of the water without breaking apart, or worse, exploding. The plane appeared to float for some time without completely becoming submerged, which allowed the Coast Guard to immediately rescue everyone.

My first thought was, "I can't imagine how cold they are in that water out there." We had a sudden arctic cold front hit us Tuesday night, leaving us with record breaking cold temperatures. The temperature was only 20 degrees when the plane crashed; I can't imagine how freezing the water was under those conditions . . . I am so glad that everyone is alive.

1 comments:

The Bann Clan said...

When I saw that on the news I had the same thought about how cold the water must be. I am glad they are all ok.