Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Feel the Burn, I Mean the Sting

My apologies--I am suddenly aware of how many of my postings are about the weather . . . I think it's because for the first time in a long time, my daily actvities are immensely determined by the barometer. The Fall has been really lovely here with just a few cold nights and rainy days. For the most part, we were enjoying warm temperatures into the high 50s and low 60s all the way up until Saturday. Then, "Bam!", the mercury took a dive Sunday night and we are not just transitioning into winter, it has arrived with full force.

I had an early start today and walking to work today was not especially fun. My inability to choose a winter coat finally caught up with me this morning. I bundled up as best as I could with my scarf, gloves, and leather jacket. As long as I was moving I was fine. . . until, about half way to the subway, I felt it. My ears started to sting from the cold. At first it was just a little tingle that made me shake my head side to side; it then progressed to an itch, and finally a sharp sting-- you know, the kind that if the 4th grade bully were to come up behind you and use his finger to simply flick your ear it would cause you to fall to the ground with reverberating pain for an hour!

I finally reached the Viacom building and stepping into the elevator--the screen read the current temp at 27 degrees! I've got to find a matching set of ear muffs for that winter coat STAT!

0 comments: