Wednesday, April 16, 2008

P.S. 152 We Love You!

Viacommunity Day
April 16, 2008

Today I got to experience my first community service day with Viacom (MTV Networks' Papa Company). I and the 200 other volunteers enjoyed working with all the third graders from P.S. 152 in the Bronx helping them to decorate quilts and pillows for sick children in NYC hospitals with life threatening illnesses. It was a joy to watch the kids get excited about helping other children their age by painting words of hope, drawing colorful rainbows, and writing personalized notes to each of them. The program was founded by Soaring Words and has affected the lives of not only its recipients, but also all the volunteers involved. Nearly all the kids at P.S. 152 qualify for the Federal Lunch program and never get the chance to experience a field trip off-campus. The annual event, which also included a picnic lunch and a "dance jam" in the courtyard, is their annual "field trip" that they look forward to each year. I was overwhelmed with joy when I arrived home that night knowing that I helped such a great cause!

And, Happy Birthday to Ali! We've loved having you with us a whole decade now!

0 comments: