Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I can now officially call Manhattan my home! After spending the entire last weekend apartment hunting, calling realtors, booking showings, and counting on emptying half of my savings account, I have found an apartment and roommate. And, without any type of realtor's fee . . . I still can't believe my luck!

(A quick tutorial on NYC housing for those of you that live outside "the city". The majority of apartments, whether for rent or for sale, are managed and shown only by certified realtors. If a tenant is seeking a rental property, a realtor will research apartment needs in the area and show a potential tenant properties that match their needs by appointment only. For their time and effort, they usually charge a percentage of the tenant's first year of total rent. Therefore, a potential tenant can count on being required to put down the standard first month of rent and security deposit to move in along with a realtor's fee of 12 - 15% of the first twelve months of rent. That 12 - 15% in my budget would have been equal to about $2500. . . so you can sense my excitement when I say that I found something without any type of realtor's fee!)

The thought of not being homeless at the end of April is overwhelmingly wonderful! And, since I don't have to pay a realtor's fee with this new pad, I may just blow some cash and upgrade to a new leather couch!

And, I better decide soon . . . according to my boss, anyone you order a couch from in the city takes 12 weeks to deliver . . . yikes! City livin' . . . it's a totally different world.

0 comments: