Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My First Cyber-Stalker

Today I received the strangest call at my desk from a woman (stalker) inside the company. The dialogue went a little something like this:

"Hi, Jessica?"

"Yes?"

"My name is Heather Z. You don't know me, but I work in the Integrated Marketing team . . ."

"OK."

"And, you just moved to the International team, right?"

"Yes."

"But, you previously worked at The N with Ray D. during the last six months, correct?"

"Yes, " I said feeling a little uncomfortable at the details emerging from this stranger.

I asked if she had learned these details from a friend or associate that she knows in the department. She replied "No," and went on to explain that she had wanted to apply for the Sr. Marketing Manager position at The N back in March immediately before she found out that I had been offered the job. And, last week she received an email from Ray asking to meet with her regarding an Integrated Marketing project. When she noticed that I wasn't copied on the email (but instead another member of the team was copied) she took the initiative to look up my profile on LinkedIn and saw that I had moved to the International team. Apparently this chick has been watching me for a while now! (And, I am that cool now that I have a stalker following my every move!)

She asked if I could offer any insight on the position and also whether she should ask Ray about the position in the hopes of stepping into it herself. I told her my point of view and wished her well. . .

0 comments: