Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yes, We Are An Interesting Looking Pair

The Subway is crawling with them. . . the streets can sometimes be overflowing with them. . . Times Square is home to some of the most peculiar breed of them . . . no matter how much you try to seek them out, they only seem to show themselves when you aren't paying attention. . . and, when you eventually notice them, you're still not quite sure you believe your eyes. . . character actors.

This morning I walked into the subway like I do every morning on my regular commute. The heat finally turned up today and so I sat down as quickly as I could on the bench by the train platform and continued digging in my purse for my electric fan in the hopes of relieving the sweat dripping from my forehead. A few minutes later, a young woman passed directly in front of me and completely turned her head in a downward stare as she went by. She followed it up with a second look over her shoulder. It was the strangest thing; all I could think was that I must really be quite the sight with my dripping makeup! I turned to the tall gentleman sitting next to me and commented, "Apparently, we look very interesting."

He slowly removed his sunglasses, turned to me with a sly smile and replied, "I guess so." It was in that moment that I finally recognized him and he knew it, too.

I decided to make a joke of it and said, "Well, I couldn't tell if she was staring at you or me, to be honest."

He snickered, winked at me and said, "She was definitely staring at you, I would say." The train pulled up to our station and we both hopped on different cars. Edward Herrmann and me, that is. We hopped on two different cars and went our separate ways. But, I like to think we became fans of each other this morning.

1 comments:

Mimi said...

Jess, really how the heck do you know who all these people are? I'm amazed. I'd be like, jerk, move over can't you see I'm hot!