Thursday, July 31, 2008

It Was a Slugger at The House That Ruth Built

When I heard the Los Angeles Angels (or, the Anaheim Angels, as I affectionately prefer to continue to call them) were going to be in the City this weekend to face off with the NY Yankees, I knew I had to be there to witness this bi-coastal battle between the hometown heroes of my childhood and the iconic record-setters and heart warmers of New Yorkers. And, what better locale to celebrate this "meeting of the longarms" than Yankee Stadium!

I enlisted Bryan to come with me and, just like Karen as my guest at George Michael, I am more of an Angels, Yankees, and for that matter, baseball fan than he is. But, he was a good sport. ("good sport"? get it? . . . I don't know how I manage to always hit them outta the park like that?! Practice, practice, practice, I guess.) Anyway, he let me bend his ear on all the nifty stadium history I had studied on Wikipedia--like how the stadium hosted the World Series in its inaugural year and then went on to host the most World Series games of all time; and, how Babe Ruth hit the first homerun here in 1923. He let me point out both team's best hitters and pitchers. And lastly, he heard me lament how the doors will finally close for good after this season.

The Angels managed to gain an early lead by opening the 3rd inning with a three-point homerun. They then managed to make it a hat-trick by doing it two more times over the night's game. And, while the Yankees mustered a small rally in the 9th, it wasn't enough to secure a win. The final score was a sad 12-6.

What made the evening especially memorable was having my brother and niece watching the game along with me on TV on the West Coast. They searched intently for me in the crowds and texted me throughout the game with cheers for the Angels. I hope they were wearing their Angels gear; I was certainly too much of a coward to wear mine in the stadium!

P.S. Liam Neeson was getting his kicks at the game too! But, I don't think he thought it was very funny when his face was splattered across the jumbotron twice! He wouldn't even turn his face to the camera--he was having none of that (or waving either!)

0 comments: