Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Thank You For Not Smoking

I rose out of bed early this morning to make my way to the NY Flower Market. I am starting my next floral design class tonight and had to pick up some last minute supplies before heading to the office. The air was crisp and warm, thanks to the rainstorm that just passed through early this morning. I managed to make it safely off the subway this morning after nearly witnessing a "chick smackdown" take place right next to me and I was now walking along 28th St, anxiously making my way toward all the floral shops. As I walked westward and got closer to the array of roses, lilies, delphinium, lemon leaf, carnations, and eucalyptus, I took in a deep breath, attempting to take in all of the familiar smells . . . "hack", "hack", "hack!".

Without realizing it, I had inadvertently followed a smoker off the subway and he had picked just this moment to "light up". I followed him down the crowded streets, trying to avoid breathing in that awful smoke, but it was to no avail! I even tried to pass him a few times to move out of the downwind stream, but his pace was just a half-step faster than mine, making it impossible to gain enough ground to pass completely in front of him. He finally crossed the street and moved out of my path. I tried again to take in a deep breath; a smile appeared on my face. . . a second deep breath and, again, more smoke!

I continued to walk behind two other smokers this morning before finally reaching my destination! I had no idea that the area on 28th St between Park Ave. and 7th Ave. was a smoking section and a haven for those morning commuters! I hope next time I'm brave enough to say something to my fellow New Yorkers--after all, how can I enjoy the wafting of flowers in the Flower Market, when your'e wafting your smoke at me?

1 comments:

Holly said...

When we got home from NY in May, my throat was so sore from all the 2nd hand smoke I had breathed in.
That is so awesome you are taking a floral class!